[Gocamino] Thoughts on "cheap holidays"

Rebekah Scott rebrites at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 07:36:19 PDT 2007

Woah. This is one skunk-battle I'm gonna NOT step
into.

But I'll say this: I'm a hospitalera too, and one
thing I really ENJOY is the great variety of
credentials that pass through here. Ingenious and
creative people have done really fine and practical
work, and there's such a rainbow of them. Adding a
sello to them is an honor for me and my house!

My own first 'pilgrim credential,' from back in 1992,
was a reporters' notebook, with a sello on the first
page of notes taken at each respective camino stop. It
was the coolest. And no one can say it's not
legitimate.

Standarization runs counter to my nature, although I
understand the need for it... having seen some of the
really crass "credentials" handed out wholesale by
commercial bus tour operators here in Spain and
another very slick and professionally-produced
"credential" from an American outfit that somehow
managed to be just as vulgar. (The only thing worse is
having the bus roll up outside and the tour
guide/'spiritual director'  hand me 40 lovely new
bona-fide credentials to stamp (for free) while the
"pilgrims" wander through the refugio and line up to
use the bathroom.)
(Yes, I have learned to set limits since then!)

I wish it didn't have to be this way. But I think we
all oughta just relax and let St. James work out this
credential thing his own way.

Reb.

Rebekah Scott
www.moratinoslife.blogspot.com