[Gocamino] Thoughts on "cheap holidays"

Ana Young ayoung2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 23:31:11 PDT 2007

Sil, I have no idea who made that response; it
certainly wasn't me. I'm heartily in agreement with
you. Again, the Canadian organization seems like an
upstanding assocation dedicated to pilgrimage, and I
have no problem with them.

My only exception was that I saw no problem at all
with the requirement that we use the actual Spanish
Credencial -- providing it's clearly understood who
qualifies for one.

It seems there'll be some "scrutiny" involved before
we can get one. Since we can't order them beforehand,
I, like the Canadians, would hate to cross 5,000 miles
over the Atlantic only to find I don't merit a
credential for some reason.

Some peregrinos don't feel they need one, and that's
fine, too. Others find they want one to qualify for
the Compostela and still others, feeling themselves to
be actual pilgrims and unable to afford other
lodgings, want access to the albergues. I've no
problem with that, either. I'm not the one to judge.

So I sympathize with them and understand their
concerns. My only departure -- and this applies to all
foreign Camino organizations -- is that everyone and
their mother seemed to be creating their own
credentials and I don't see anything wrong with
standardizing that a bit.

(I admit I'm also seeing this a bit from the POV of an
hospitalera, which I was and will be again ;-o  It's
going to be soooooo much easier with only one
Credencial to look at.)