[Gocamino] Solitude on the Via de la Plata

Marcus Wilder marcuswilder2 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 16 15:35:47 PDT 2007

Take a taxi where necessary.  It is your camino, to travel in the best
way for you.  There will be three or four or five taxi days for you.
THE MOUNTAINS AFTER ZAMORA  ARE DIFFICULT.  You may need to take taxis
to the tops of the several passes as well.

The joy of the Via de la Plata is the solitude.  The camino is yours
alone during the day.  Evenings are spent with other pilgrims.  Walking
slowly, nearly everyone will pass you.  This means they move on and you
meet new pilgrims each evening.  That is how it worked for me. My Via
de la Plata was glorious.

You will find the Via de la Plata pilgrim largely cut from different
cloth than what you have seen on the Camino Frances.  There will be a
plurality of Germans.

Your camino should take 42 days.  Extremadura will be dangerous for you
in the hot months.