[Gocamino] Gocamino Digest, Vol 33, Issue 4

Suzanne Turner suzanne at turnerstrategies.com
Tue Jul 3 12:45:04 PDT 2007

On my own very personal level, "camino" means "way" -- as in "I am the
way and the light."  It also means "path" -- making my camino my own
spiritual path in the broadest possible sense.  "Way" and "path" are
also direct translations from the Spanish "camino," as well as the
French "chemin."  (Yes, yes, "road" is the predominant translation of
both words, as well.)

So the road to Santiago (and my own personal road to Santiago) is but a
physical manifestation of my spiritual path.  In this light, the
decision to make the Camino could be interpreted as a symbol of the
decision to surrender oneself to Christ.  The discomfort and hardship of
the road symbolic of certain denials of the spiritual life; the
camraderie and thousand unexpected graces a symbol of God's active
presence in our lives.

But, hey, that's just me.  ;o)

Buen camino,

Suzanne