[Gocamino] Literal meaning of "Camino"

Renato Alvarado Vidal machi at telsur.cl
Mon Jul 2 14:25:47 PDT 2007

	Dear Rosina, certainly El Camino de Santiago must be understood as
"the way to Santiago", and in this sense, a good spanish synonym to
"camino" is "senda"(path). I, as spanish speaker, understand El
Camino as "The Path to Santiago".
	I also think that the english expression:  "The Way to Santiago"
adds a new and richer english meaning, because "way" in spanish is
also "modo", so it makes reference to a peculiar attitude belonging
to the specific activity developed in that place; this is, the
pilgrim's way of walking, of going to someplace. In spanish The Way
to Santiago also means : la manera de ir a Santiago.

	From a nice winter afternoon in Patagonia, low flying clouds under
the sun, painting with light on the sea, the islands and the boats
rolling quietly under my window. ¡Buen Camino!

	Machi