[Gocamino] Gocamino Digest, Vol 33, Issue 4

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Tue Jul 3 16:51:48 PDT 2007

One may, of course, give any word whatever one's? personal interpretation.... that goes without saying; but the question, and attempted answer, was about the
etymology of the word "Camino".
"Way" in Spanish, is mostly meant as "direction", as in "which way?" ?and it may not have anything to do with walking.... which is the substance of the word "Camino" both as a?verb and a noun.?The Spanish word for "path" is very beautiful : "vereda",? which?presupposes walking, horse back riding, and even bicycling.... but no cars.? Road or highway would be more closely translated as "carretera", which derives from "carro", that is, automobile, or in olden times, carriage. But etymologically the word "Camino" is ancillary to the verb "caminar"... that is, "to walk". This relationship is identical in Spanish, Italian and Portuguese.
Someone sent a message suggesting that?to walk became "marcher"? (to march) in French because Latin arrived in France through the years-and-years long?campaign to conquer Gaul by Julius Caesar and his legions, and that they, naturally, would be "marching".? That makes a lot of sense.
What say you, Robert?
?