[Gocamino] Roncesvalles to St. Jean via Taxi

Jethess777 at aol.com Jethess777 at aol.com
Thu Jan 11 20:49:11 PST 2007

Some alternatives:

Ryanair offers flight from Stansted at 9 a.m.-ish and arrives in Pau at 12:45
p.m.

Some ways to get to St. Jean or Roncesvalles from Pau are found on the
following site:
http://www.caminosantiago.com/web_ingles/foroperegrinos.htm

Here's a "paste" of it:

Pau to Roncesvalles
Posted by: Marion
Date: May 04, 2003 11:05PM
Hello,
I have been checking my options for getting to Spain to start my camino and I
can get very cheap flights to Pau but I have been unable to find any
information on getting from there to SJPP or Roncesvalles. Has anyone heard of any
route by public transport or is it much easier to fly to Biarritz or Bilbao.
Thanks for all you advice on this forum.
Marion

Re: Pau to Roncesvalles
Posted by: John
Date: May 05, 2003 10:38AM
Marion,
If you go to www.sncf.com/indexe.htm you can explore the timetable/booking
section there. There is a train from Pau to Bayonne (1 hour) and from Bayonne to
SJPP (also 1 hour) . The gap between connections varies depending on which
train you take from Pau. Hope this helps.
John

Re: Pau to Roncesvalles
Posted by: Ron
Date: May 05, 2003 01:12PM
Hi Marion,
Biarritz is by far the most efficient destination by air if you plan to begin
at SJPP. Bayonne, where the shuttle to SJPP operates 2-3 times per day, is
about 40 minutes by public bus from the Biarritz airport (1.50 Euros). If the
airfare to Biarritz is much more expensive than flying to Pau then the advice
that John has already provided is accurate and you should take the train from
Pau to Bayonne. I did want to mention, however, that there is another Camino
route--the Aragon route which passes through Pau on it's way over the Pyrenees at
the Somport Pass. It continues on through Confranc Estacion and on to Jaca
and Sanguesa, Monreal until it merges with the French Camino at Puente La Reina
south of Pamplona. It is a beautiful route with some great refugios along the
way. It is, however not the primary route that the French Camino is. Just
wanted to mention it.
Buen Camino,
Ron

Also, Ryanair has about 4 flights per week from Stansted to Vitoria (near
Pamplona).

Best of luck,
Joanie