[Gocamino] Pondering...

Renato Alvarado Vidal machi at telsur.cl
Wed Feb 21 20:03:22 PST 2007

	Dear Kathy, in the first place, I want to tell you that I think that
El Camino is a so powerful event and experience, that it will "act on
you" anyway; for me it was gidding to feel how I was melting into the
pilgrimage, how the self I used to be, dissolved into that river,
eleven centuries deep. Around fourth or fifth day I noticed that when
asked, who was me? I could have answered anything; the one I used to
be had dissolved without any possibility of avoiding it, as a
snowflake on your open palm.
	Later it was clear, I breathed like a pilgrim, eated like a pilgrim,
evacuated like a pilgrim, sweated, snorted and dreamed like a
pilgrim, simply because I was being a pilgrim twenty four hours a
day, and a day and so on; no wonder that I was also thinking and
feeling and flying like a pilgrim.
	This experience was for me the most impressive; I think that perhaps
because it made me feel the brotherhood with all pilgrims that along
so many years have treaded the path, and have make it sacred.
	Other fantastic gift founded in El Camino, was the freedom, the
magnificent freedom of needing only what I carry in my backpack and
that my legs don't desert me; I fully enjoyed asking nothing, only
giving thanks. I found joy unlimited, being happier day after day is
exhilarating; I made the last day dancing and singing.
	And certainly there are many other gifts that El Camino can bring.
One dimension that we, atheist people, don't have access to, is the
emotional realm of the religious experience; for me, to perform a
special ritual with the saint's image, had no meaning; so it was
clear for me that I was missing something.
	From these experiences I think that, preparations or not
preparations, El Camino will take charge of you; and anyway, it's
better to have preparation, for non spanish speakers, some languaje
knowledge is advisable. I think that the key of preparation is
something you wrote  :   is it enough to be truly open ? I say it's
much more than enough, it's necessary, because you can't pour
anything into a cup, if it's not previously empty.
	Buen Camino, siempre, para todos.

	Machi