[Gocamino] Diabetes; new Camino book; video

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Sun Nov 12 18:00:26 PST 2006

Hello you all,
The redoubtable Ales from Zaragoza (the author, and manager, -owner?- of the largest Camino list-serv in Spain) has founded a center of information for those pilgrims who may suffer from diabetes.  In his new site he publishes all articles written about diabetes who contain answers to pilgrims' queries on the subject. He also publishes the impressions of those pilgrims who have walked the Camino while suffering from the disease.  Let me know if you would like me to send you the list of the articles.  While they are written in Spanish I will translate those that may interest you.

Ofelia Rey, who earned her PhD in 1984 on a dissertation on the Camino (which went on to be published and earned all sorts of literary prizes) has just introduced her new book on "Santiago Myths in Modern times". This is her 12th book. In 2002 she published an extremely interesting book on "Pilgrims, poor and sick".  She is a professor of medieval history at the USC (Universidad de Santiago de Compostela).  Both her latest books are in the process of being translated into French and Italian, with a very good chance of their being translated into English as well.

There is a wonderful litle video in Youtube, "Spectacle of Spain", about the lovely seaport of Cadiz, reputed to be the oldest true city in Spain. I, for one, love the place and admire the remaining 7 of its nearly two hundred defensive towers of yore. You may enjoy it.

Let me know about the diabetes articles.

Hugs!

Rosina