[Gocamino] Rites of Passage

Sue Kenney sue.kenney at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 13 08:09:05 PDT 2006

Eileen and others,

Thank you for sharing this. I am very intrigued by the process you've
described. A few years ago I did my own study on liminality. Being in a
liminal moment which was described as the point where an actor is behind the
curtain and it's the moment just before she/he enters the stage. Although I
hadn't been on stage as an actor since I was a child, I have had many
liminal moments in my life and could relate to this example. When I returned
from my first Camino, it took at least a year to feel somewhat normal as the
person I had walked back to...and possibly longer.

On my second Camino, I walked the path in both directions (from Valenca,
Portugal to Finnestera and back to Valenca). My own experience was that the
return route back to my starting point, gave me the chance to assimilate the
experiences of my journey as a mirror reflection; essentially I retraced my
steps in an objective state.  This allowed me to "agregate" to some degree
back into my normal life, while still on the Camino. I found it much easier
to integrate the journey and it's profound lessons by walking in both
directions.

Love and light,
Sue