[Gocamino] Rites of Passage

Kathy Gower kathygower at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 13 07:35:51 PDT 2006

Greetings Eileen, et al,

I'm not an anthropologist, but have read both Geneep, Turner and several
others who talk about the rites of passage process...and especially the
re-entry phase.  Joseph Campbell, Phil Cosineau and others have written
about what is not quite culture shock, but the dissorienting dilemma of
returning to the same culture, only the traveler or pilgrim has changed.

Seven universal phases are spoken about:  the Longing, The Call, Departure,
The Pilgrim's Way, The Labyrinth, The Arrival and Bringing Back the Boon.

Ultimately, what helped my own readjustment and consequent future steps was
all you speak about, in addition to a old zen teaching series called the Ox
Herder".  It is a circular series, with no step higher or more important
than the others.  In it, the boy finds, tames and transcends the ox, losing
it, finding it again and returns home to his source, the same boy, but with
new understandings of losing and finding onesself.

What awonderful thing pilgrimage is!  arduous and abundant I've heard it
called....