[Gocamino] last-minute questions

Pete Grant pgrant38 at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 07:37:47 PDT 2005

Dennis,

First of all, congratulations on your upcoming walk.  The route from Leon to Santiago is beautiful.  My wife and daughter started from Leon just 2 weeks ago, so I have some suggestions regarding your questions.

First of all, you should consider spending a full day in Leon.  It's a beautiful city, with lots to see.  The cathedral is wonderful...especially the stained glass windows.  They are among the most beautiful I've ever seen.  Also, you should visit St. Isidoro's and the adjoining museum.

My wife and daughter arrived at midnight from Madrid...too late to get into a refugio,  Tthey found a very nice and affordable room in Pension Sandoval on Plaza San Francisco 19.   They stayed the next evening at The Madres Benedictinas refuge, where they got their credential.

Since I was a purist and insisted on walking every step to Santiago, I walked out of Leon.  However, it would be equally acceptable to take a bus, or taxi, to Virgen del Camino and start walking from there.  My wife and daughter chose this option.  From there they took the walkers route to Hospital de Orbigo.  It's 28 kms straight thru, so they split the walk into two 14 km days since they are both beginning back packers.  They stayed at the new refugio at Villa de Masirfe, which is exactly half way, and were very comfortable.

Finally, I collected stamps from everywhere...refugios, churches, bars, etc.  Always feel free to ask.  I filled 3+ passports, but then I started way back in Oloron St. Marie, France

Some refugios have refrigerators, and some do not.  I often bought yogurt that does not require refrigeration, along with fruit, for breakfast

Incidentally, I relied on the Confraternity of St James guidebook for my information.  It's the best as far as I'm concerned.  It's updated each year and is very accurate.

Buen Camino,

Pete

Dennis Harrod <dennisharrod at yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi all:

My daughter and I leave Monday for Spain and plan to start walking from Leon
Friday after visiting friends. But everything I read makes it sound like the
first stretch out of Leon is not the most pleasant. My question is, since we
are starting there and a few kilometers one way or the other doesn't make any
difference, would it be better to take a train/bus to somewhere beyond the
suburbs/city limits? If so, where would you recommend? We have two weeks to
get to Santiago.

My next question follows from that one: if we arrive in Leon by car, or
somewhere father on by bus or train, I assume we can't stay in a refugio. But
how do we get the first stamp on the passport? Will they stamp it for us to
show we began walking there, even if we can't stay in the refugio? Or are you
allowed to stay your first night before walking?

Finally (not really, but I can't think of other questions now), I've read that
we should buy breakfast and lunch the night before because we'll leave too
early in the morning to buy them. How do we keep them, especially something
like yogurt? Do the refugios have refrigerators?

Thank you in advance for the information, and thank you for all the
information I've already received from you all.

Dennis

Dennis C. Harrod, Spanish Language Coordinator
316A H.B. Crouse
Syracuse University
Syracuse, NY 13244
(315) 443-5491