[Gocamino] last-minute questions

Dennis Harrod dennisharrod at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 06:24:02 PDT 2005

Hi all:

My daughter and I leave Monday for Spain and plan to start walking from Leon
Friday after visiting friends. But everything I read makes it sound like the
first stretch out of Leon is not the most pleasant. My question is, since we
are starting there and a few kilometers one way or the other doesn't make any
difference, would it be better to take a train/bus to somewhere beyond the
suburbs/city limits? If so, where would you recommend? We have two weeks to
get to Santiago.

My next question follows from that one: if we arrive in Leon by car, or
somewhere father on by bus or train, I assume we can't stay in a refugio. But
how do we get the first stamp on the passport? Will they stamp it for us to
show we began walking there, even if we can't stay in the refugio? Or are you
allowed to stay your first night before walking?

Finally (not really, but I can't think of other questions now), I've read that
we should buy breakfast and lunch the night before because we'll leave too
early in the morning to buy them. How do we keep them, especially something
like yogurt? Do the refugios have refrigerators?

Thank you in advance for the information, and thank you for all the
information I've already received from you all.

Dennis

Dennis C. Harrod, Spanish Language Coordinator
316A H.B. Crouse
Syracuse University
Syracuse, NY 13244
(315) 443-5491