[Gocamino] The new Pope and Santiago

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Mon May 2 19:39:59 PDT 2005

Hello you all,
The newspaper "El Correo de Galicia" of tomorrow reports that the Nuncio of
Spain (Spain's highest religious authority..... I think),  has stated that Pope
Benedict XVI  intends to visit Spain as soon as possible and, most
particularly, Santiago de Compostela.  The new Pope is said to be influenced by the very
special affection, often expressed,  that the late John Paul II held for the
Camino.

The Nuncio emphasized that Benedict XVI cannot be expected to be as
energetically peripatetic as John Paul II, the Pilgrim Pope, because at the beginning
of his Papacy Benedict XVI is 20 years older than John Paul II was when he
became Pope.

An Italian newspaper has reported that Benedict XVI has had his baby grand
piano installed in the anteroom of the Papal bedroom. He is said to enjoy
playing Mozart  before going to bed.
I wonder what has happened to his cats.  I've never heard of a Pope having
pets of any kind.
Well, I'll be going to Rome for (an extended)  Memorial Day weekend and will
try to find out,.... although I'm a dogs person myself.

The Pilgrims' Office in Santiago has been compelled to reduce its staff  and
they haven't been able to iron out all the wrinkles in the computer system.
They are attempting to connect all the albergues electronically, and that has
proved far more challenging  than originally anticipated; however, progress is
being made, albeit slowly, and it is expected that the system will be up to
snuff before the summer.

Warm regards,

Rosina