[Gocamino] Re: [saintjames] The new Pope and Santiago

blaroli at aol.com blaroli at aol.com
Tue May 3 15:44:08 PDT 2005

Hi Rebecca,
As far as I know the Archicofradia does not have a publicity or public relations anything. With so many member Cofradias (fraternities) all over the world I suppose that they do not need it. If anyone wishes to make an announcement of a significant pilgrims' event the best thing to do would be to send an e-mail to the pilgrims' office or to the Archdiocese's office.  Both e-mail addresses appear on the Archdiocese's webpage. Don Jenaro Cebrian Franco, who is in charge of the Pilgrims' office, also oversees the publication of the "Compostela" which is the Archicofradia's official publication, so I guess that's the way to go.
I don't know any one person or office to send announcements to in any newspaper in Spain; I merely scan the newspapers for Camino-related news.
Because of their short-handed situation I had planned to spend the month of July volunteering at the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago since the height of the summer is their busiest time.  They need volunteers who speak Spanish and some other languages, which I do, but something has come up that has compelled me to change my plans, (the Bolshoi Ballet Company is coming to New York from Moscow, after 7 years! for the last two weeks in July),  so I've changed my plans..... I'll probably forgo walking the Camino del Norte, which Pope John Paul II walked twice and Pope John XXIII walked once, and just spend the entire month of August volunteering at the office.  Maybe then I can suggest some direct lines of communication for interesting pilgrims' announcements and such.

Now, Rebecca and all of you writers: it occurred to me that someone ought to write a book called "Pets of the Popes", or something like that. With more than a billion Catholics and a few billion pet lovers in the world such a book would be a sure-fire mega best-seller.

Meanwhile, I'll try to find out about Cardinal Ratzinger's (now Pope Benedict XVI) cats.  I know where he lived while a Cardinal, right outside the Vatican, and the restaurants he frequented.... so I'll go to the neighborhood and ask around.
(I had no idea that so many of you are cat lovers).

Warm regards,

Rosina