[Gocamino] Pilgrimages network

Donald Schell donaldschell at saintgregorys.org
Sun Mar 13 08:12:26 PST 2005

Rosina,

(apologies for double-posting this.  I meant to reply to you on the
list and didn't notice the address until after I'd sent it).

> Besides Santiago, the towns that will participate in the cooperative
> effort
> will be Altotting in Germany, Czestoch in Poland, Fatima in Portugal,
> Loreto in
> Italy, the island of Patmos in Greece and Lourdes in France.
> Outside of Fatima, Lourdes and Loreto I do not know anything about the
> other
> places.  Is anyone here familiar with such places and their pilgrimage
> attraction?

Thank you for your wonderful account of your first experience of the
Camino.

Of the places you mention, Patmos is one I know a little about.  The
Book of Revelation in the New Testament was written on Patmos by one
John (traditionally identified as the same John who wrote the Gospel,
though the Gospel's language and theology are quite different).  There
distinct traditions about 'John,' and one is that the author of Gospel,
the three Epistles, and the Book of Revelation had the visions he wrote
about on Patmos and died there.  The other tradition identifies Ephesus
as the place where the Gospel writer lived until his death.

There is a very old Orthodox monastery on the peak of the island.  I
believe it includes within its walls the cave which is the traditional
site of John's revelatioins.  I've never visited but have heard Bishop
Kallistos Ware talk of it.  He was an Anglican scholar of early church
and Orthodox theology who became Greek Orthodox and an Orthodox priest.
  When I met him in 1971, he was an Oxford professor of theology (I
don't know if he still teaches), and a popular and accessible writer on
Orthodox theology.  This was before he'd been consecrated a bishop.

At that time he was teaching half the year at Oxford and spending the
other half year as an ordinary member of Patmos'  ancient monastic
community where most of his brothers were men who had grown up in the
fishing village on the island.  When visitors landed on the island and
climbed up to the monastery, Fr. Kallistos (native English speaker and
good in a couple of other languages too, I think) was the community's
designated guide.  All the pilgrims and tourists had come in by boat,
at that time only private or chartered boats.  He had some amusing
stories of wealthy 'experts' taking their friends on tour who didn't
quite know what to make of the monk with the odd Anglo-Greco accent who
seemed to know as much as they did.  A German lady taking a group of
friends for a Mediterranean tour on her substantial yacht complimented
Kallistos on his English.  'Pretty good for a Greek,' she said, 'though
you make certain mistakes in grammar.'

With the great increase of European travel, tourism and interest in
pilgrimage in the intervening thirty plus years, I don't know what
Patmos has become, but the destination would still be the monastery and
its cave of the Apocalypse.

love,
donald