[Gocamino] Where to begin

jim allen jallen08 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Mar 12 13:19:39 PST 2005

Well, we have a subject worth discussing now, haven't we?
Eldor, you have made some very good suggestions for the NorteAmericanos who fly to Paris then on to SJPP.  I am surprised to hear that there are so many acquaintances who planned a Camino trip of 500+miles without preparing physically or mentally for such a trip, i.e. did not become aware that the SJPP to Roncevalles would be the hardest trip of the Camino nor would they be deconditioned in three days.
This 69 year old male accompanied by his daughter and her friend were well aware of the challenge of SJPP/Roncevalles.  In fact they were worried about starting with such a challenging first day.  That's why we began with just a short hop to Huntto to get a "taste" of the climbing.
We flew to Madrid, rented a car and drove north to Burgos, had lunch and drove on to Los Arcos where we met a friend and his family.  Were we tired that night?  Surely.  We were wined and dined and partied.  The next morning we made reservations for Huntto.  At noon we were driven to SJPP arriving at 2:00pm.  After a meal, we began hiking at 3:30pm.  We had a hard time sleeping that night due to mosquitoes.  The next day we began our trek.  Sure, it was hard, but ah, the feeling when we arrived in Roncevalles.
Remember, this was a trip of a lifetime.
As we remember it, we were glad we climbed the Pyrennes when we were fresh physically and had no blisters, plantar fascitis, sore knees, etc.
We researched well, had good boots, minimum weight in the backpacks.
Jim Allen, Seminole, fl