[Gocamino] Where to begin

Ana Young ayoung2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 12 13:42:00 PST 2005

I've always agreed that treating the uphill trek
between St. Jean and Roncesvalles as the first day of
pilgrimage is ill-advised for most pilgrims who have
not already been walking for at least several days.

Most experienced hikers have always suggested taking
it easy for the first few days of a long walk,
gradually increasing the kilometers each day until
your body is acclimated to the daily walk. I've never
understood the need among so many pilgrims to start at
St. Jean.

I do want to see it someday, as I've never started
there (my two starting points were Roncesvalles and
Somport - the second especially inspiring). But I will
only after a few days of walking before.

Buen Camino,
Ana