[Gocamino] Transformations

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Sat Mar 12 09:51:26 PST 2005

Hello you all,
In June 1999 my sister in law Liz, who looks like, and is,  a
Saturday-Evening-Post blonde from Savannah, Georgia, told us that she had just gotten a
specially made bicycle from Seattle, outfitted in a suitcase, and that she was on
her way to Northern Spain to bicycle the Camino de Santiago.
She had been talking about it for a while, but I guess none of us in the
family really believed her  After all, she did not speak a word of Spanish then,
or any language other than English, and is not overly religious as an
Episcopalian. When it became clear that she was going everyone in the family became
alarmed at the thought of this super-USA looking Southerner bicycling, by
herself, hundreds and hundreds of miles in a Latin country.  I gave in to the urgings
of all my in-laws, and the repeated pleadings of my son, and agreed to go
along, just to be on hand in case of need, linguistic or otherwise..
I had never really heard of the Camino before then....or paid any attention
if, in fact, I'd heard about it. (To me Spain was Andalucia.... period).
My thought when the family "emergency" arose was to take a bunch of books,
precede Liz from town to town and spend my time  reading under  trees or sipping
wine at bars with the locals.
We flew to Pamplona where we were going to spend a couple of days to get over
jetlag, put the bicycle together, and get set for the (to me) ordeal. We
stayed in a charming  little hotel called "Leyre", and when I asked what the word
meant a lovely young woman at the desk told me that the hotel was named after
a medieval monastery nearby. Intrigued, I deigned to look into a book that Liz
had taken with her and had been raving about,  and which I had purposely
ignored because I was there "against my will" so-to-speak. The book was Linda
Davidson's superb (and the best of them all in the genre in my view,.. bar none)
"The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago".  While looking up "Leyre" I saw the pictures
of San Juan de la Pena which I thought fantastic.
I suggested that we get a car and go to  visit those monasteries.  Leyre was,
and is, reputed for its Gregorian vespers which are sung every evening, and
we timed the visit accordingly.  But, after viewing the impressive museum and
the old basement with the many columns, each with a different capitel, and made
our way to the church there was an air of such profound solemnity and intense
emotional involvement in the ceremony that it was evident that something very
deep and significant  was going on.
It turned out that the Monks were observing the anniversary of the beheading
of seven of their brethren in a small town at the foot of the Atlas mountains
in Algiers in 1994.  They read the letters which each beheaded monk had
written before being killed.  The monks had had every opportunity to leave the
country when it became evident that the lives were threatened, and they refused to
do so because such action would not have done honor to the example set by
Christ.  Indeed, their Abbot himself went there to try to persuade them to leave
and failed. The monks ranged in age from 22 to 84 years, and they had
maintained a school and a hospital in that area for decades. They were beheaded in
front of each other . Their heart-rending letters explained their reasons and
feelings.
After the ceremony I was distraught,  stunned and in pain.  I had never heard
of those beheadings, and while I had heard that some nuns and other
Christians had been killed in Algeria, I had never given a second thought to what they
may or may not have felt or thought; I thought such killings were mere acts of
war..
When I first heard, and then read, the letters of the seven monks a storm of
shame, and confusion, raged within me.  I felt fake as a Christian.... merely
going to Mass and celebrating Christmas and Easter. I felt hypocritical,
selfish, weak and superficial and unworthy of calling myself a Christian, nor
addressing anyone as such.
In total confusion, and with my self-esteem and identity evaporating from
under my feet, I did not know how to deal with myself, and although I went to
confession and the priest tried to calm me down I couldn't absolve myself of my
spiritual sloth and of my using my religion as a set of clothing inside of as a
part of my heart.
I cried and cried, couldn't sleep or eat...and. hardly spoke, but I
accompanied Liz to SJPP for the beginning of her pilgrimage, and, still in turmoil,
while there, almost mindlessly,  I bought a pair of boots, a backpack, a walking
stick, and began to climb . And then I just walked, and walked, all the way to
Santiago. It seemed about the only thing that felt right to do.
That is how the Camino transformed me....nay, ...how it turned me inside
out..
Many of you have asked me why I devote so much of my busy-New-York-lawyer
time and energies to the Camino;  well, perhaps this will explain it.
And while I still feel hypocritical, sometimes,  as I call myself a Catholic,
I do try to catch the instances on time and mend my ways.
That  walking stick that I bought in SJPP  hangs on the wall in my bedroom;
copies of the monks'  letters are in a drawer of  my nighttable, and I read
them from time to time.  And, of course, the Camino, and thoughts of the Camino,
not only  have enlarged and enriched my existence, but have often illuminated
my conscience as well.
I hope it will be so  until the end of my days.

Big hug!
Rosina