[Gocamino] going on pilgrimage in Wales

Donald Schell djschel at attglobal.net
Tue Jun 28 23:00:08 PDT 2005

Dear Kathy,

Yikes, I hope you get this.  I didn't realize you were planning this
trip or would have said something sooner - - -
- - - If at all possible visit Pennant Melangel just across the Welsh
border from England in the north.  In a really beautiful, steep valley
at the end of a country road, it's a 7th century church/foundation with
a round churchyard, huge vertical stones buried deep in the earth and a
restored Norman pilgrimage shrine honoring the Irish nun who came there
as a missionary and whose hut was the first sacred dwelling on the
site.

I think you may know that Bardsey is where I bought my pilgrim's
walking stick at the nature shop in Bardsey's retreat house in 1995.
That stick has now crossed the Pyrenees twice and done parts of the
Camino in Spain three times.  There are stones from one of the springs
there (and a couple of other springs that were medieval pilgrims'
destinations) as well as small stones from Juan de la Cruz's monastery
garden in Segovia and Teresa's first convent in Avila are buried under
the baptistry at St. Gregory's.

You'll be taking the boat from Aberdaron to Bardsey.  Be sure to look
in at the church there.  It's where the great Anglican poet/priest R.S.
Thomas served and it's an old place with a wonderful fresh aura of
holiness and faithful love and service.  Thomas wrote some lovely poems
about the stillness of that church just before the first words of a
Sunday liturgy.  His was a kind of rootedness that feels profoundly
akin to pilgrimage.  Just a bit north of Aberdaron is the town where
Gerard Manley Hopkins served as Catholic pastor in the 19th Century (a
Jesuit).

I don't know about church dedicated to James there, but the pilgrimage
tradition is very, very old in Wales.  St. David, when he was elected
bishop journeyed to Jerusalem for consecration.  The tradition is that
Bardsey was first settled by Egyptian (!) monks and that the area
around Bardsey was a place where Celtic and Coptic Christianity met and
the traditions blended for a century or more.

Have a blessed pilgrimage!

love,
donald