[Gocamino] The weight of boots

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 18:08:19 PST 2005

There is an old adage among hikers: "A pound on the foot is worth five on
the back". Never saw the supporting evidence behind the numbers, but it
sounds like a reasonable estimate. Perhaps the magazine has some fancy
empirical research to come up with such an exact figure. Or perhaps some
wishful estimates. In any case I have always been a fanatic for footwear.
One of the things I do when selecting footwear is to heft the various
shoes/boots/sandals for their comparative weights. My current Teva sandals
weigh in at 688 grams for the pair. Yeah, I love 'em. They’re light and
cushiony, and put me in the blister-free zone as well. I think it is really
possible to do the Camino Frances June through August in nothing but
sandals. I did one Camino this year with only two days in boots. Every day
the sky didn't dump buckets of the wet stuff I was in sandals. I saw a
Peregrino doing the entire trip in sandals, and no socks. His feet looked
healthy, no bandages, and he was wearing a smile on his face. Yeah, I’d say
go as light on the foot as is practical. Works for me.

Grant

Grant Spangler
GASpangler at hotmail.com
http://groups.msn.com/ElCaminoSantiago