[Gocamino] Re: Footwear

Cristina Temenos cristina_jeanne at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 12 12:38:57 PST 2005

Footwear is an often debated topic among those walking the camino.  Most wear light-midweight hiking boots, though I know of those who have walked in sneakers, a hiking sandal and even one who has done it barefoot!  There is a saying "every pound on your foot is 10 on your back" while I don't know if I agree with that exact equation, the weight of your boots does matter!  If its ankle support you are looking for I would sugguest a boot.  I myself wore mid-weight hiking boots and was fine although I would have preferred lighter ones.  While you by no means have to spend a fortune on your boots, lighter weight materials and good quality boots do cost a little more.  I would suggest you try them on in the store with the socks you will be wearing on the trip.  If you're unsure about the fit, ask a salesperson, they're trained to help you with that.  It is essential that you have well fitted footwear to prevent blisters and much miserey along the way.  Once you get your boots, go!
  for
 walks/mini hikes in them with the socks you will be wearing to break them in and also to notice any potential 'hot spots' on your feet (places where blisters would form) so you will know to protect them with compeede before setting out for the day thereby preventing blisters before they appear.

Hope this has been of some help to you

Ultreya!

Cristina

Cristina Temenos

cjtemeno at syr.edu

Cristina_Jeanne at yahoo.com

A volte può essere più bello camminare che arrivare. Arrivare non esiste, è solo un momento del cammino.