[Gocamino] Electronics in General

Rebekah Scott rebrites at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 14 18:41:26 PDT 2005

careful careful juann:
Your advice is sound and well-taken and excellent, but beware the terms you use.
The people on this server ask good questions on what equipment to take along, but they resent it when they're told NOT to take along devices and doodads, especially if you tell them it's for the sake of a "real pilgrimage" experience.
At least when we start out, a lot of us love our "stuff" and the feeling of security our gadgets give us. We love our Stuff more than we appreciate anyone else's notion of "authenticity" or "usefulness."  Advice from old hands is often seen as patronizing or judgmental.
Ours is a society without much regard or awareness of wisdom -- unless it comes from a magazine or newspaper or TV presenter. After a few dozen miles of shlepping extra weight in their backpacks, many devoted gadgeteers learn from their own experience and ship the thing home.

Not everyone around here is that way, definitely. But I've had my hair re-styled a few times by some devoted gadgeteers, so beware!
Authentically
Rebekah

Rebekah Scott, periodista
Westmoreland County bureau