[Gocamino] long walk/no fountain

Rebekah Scott rebrites at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 30 09:42:25 PDT 2005

I'm not sure about which one Grant's referring to, but I know there's one killer 32K stretch of "primitivo" wilderness between Calzada del Coto and Manzilla de los Mulas, out on the Meseta. You don't have to follow this "alternate route," (it's much more sane and comfy to go via Reliegos) but hard-core purists do it -- it's a Roman road, used by pilgs for a zillion years. No shade, no fuentes, no trees, no bushes to hide behind to go pee!
I did travel this stretch -- albeit via horseback --  but unless you're in a blazing hurry or working off some heavy karma I can't see any reason not to go the Reliegos route.

Rebekah Scott, periodista
Westmoreland County bureau
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette USA