[Gocamino] Re: weather, gadgets, guides, and Providence

Grant Spangler gaspangler at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 6 11:21:30 PDT 2005

Yes, by all means, please eschew al modern amenities, conveniences and
technology.
Including, but not limited to, air travel, telephones, email, modern
footwear, clothing, backpacks and flush toilets. I am the minimalist’s
minimalist whilst on the Camino. This does not mean I do not use every tool
in the toolbox. I travel very light. I pay attention to the external
accoutrements while preparing, so I can pay attention to the Journey within
while walking. I find I have more focus on the spiritual Road when I am not
plagued by blisters or heat stroke.

Here is a posting where weather played a pivotal role for a British pilgrim.
We all make choices: some good, some not so good. The more informed you are,
the better your choices become.  Thousands of our pilgrim predecessors had a
much rougher go of it than we. They had poorer footwear, nutrition,
clothing, roads and lodging compared to what we have available. Does this
mean in order to have an authentic experience we embrace only 12th Century
ways? Perhaps not.  The Internet allows the free interchange of abstract
things like thoughts, and faith. It also allows access to real-time
information which can assist in planning your day, or perhaps avoiding
disaster.

The posting …

A Perilous Route Napoleon