luggage, food & security

Ann Snee caminopilgrimaYAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 30 03:30:08 PST 2004

Rosina,

How I enjoyed your story!  Just goes to show that "angels" are found off the camino as well!    Ann

wanda <wandaaOLDABIQUIU.COM> wrote: Please recommend several hotels in Santiago. The one you stated is As Artes,
do you have more? Thanks, Wanda
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rosina Lila"
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 11:29 AM
Subject: Re: luggage, food & security

> Hello you all,
> Last September I spent about a week in Santiago after finishing my walk
from O Cebreiro. While there I met a very shy non-Spanish speaking pilgrim
from Ireland who wanted to take the bus to the airport but did not know how
to go to the bus station or which bus company to use (In Spain different bus
companies go to different places and they park in different places at the
station..... and, no, the bus station workers do not speak English). Because
it was raining buckets and I had nothing pressing to do, I went with her to
the bus station and helped her out. Owing to the heavy rain, and the
afternoon hour, I suppose, there were no taxis around so I took the city bus
back to Plaza Galicia which abuts the Casco. I sat on one of the high seats
by the bus driver and fumbled through my coin/purse/wallet for the proper
change.
> I got off the bus at the Plaza and when I went into a cafe by it to get
some churros and coffee I realized that I had lost the coin purse/wallet.
> I walked back to my hotel, As Artes, on rua Vilar and stopped to leave
some film to be developed at a small stand. When I told the lady there about
my wallet she suggested that I go back to Plaza Galicia and wait for the bus
and ask for the wallet. I though the entire idea absurd and unrealistic,
but the woman was so insistent that I did go back, in the rain, told a
driver of a bus what had happened and he told me that I had probably taken
the number 10 bus. As I was about to leave, I saw the number 10 bus rounding
the Plaza and when I went to its door the driver smiled from ear to ear and
waved my wallet.
> There were 220 Euros in bills in the wallet and about 4 in coins in the
purse.
> Needless to say I was awestruck.
> A couple of months later, when I went to Santiago for Thanksgiving, I left
my Nikon F4 camera, with a 2.8 20 lens atop a bar in the
heavy-tourist-traffic street parallel to Vilar. When, hours later, I
realized that I had lost the camera somewhere and went back to the bar, not
only did they have the camera waiting safe behind the bar, but they had
reported it found to the guardia civil in case its owner inquired about it.