cooking, sticks, swim

Eva evaaARTREMI.COM
Mon Mar 22 21:44:12 PST 2004

We ate in restaurants at least once a day. The kitchen facilities at
refugios are not always reliable. Most of the time people just make
sandwiches or cook pasta.

One thing that I really missed on the Camino was hot tea. I'm a huge fun
of all kinds of tea (herbal, green, black), but it was unavailable most
of the time. I wished I had brought that electric spiral thingy (what's
the name??) that you can use to boil a cup of water. I usually don't eat
at night and each night when we arrived at the refugio I just wished for
a cup of tea. Instead we usually went to a local restaurant and had a
full meal with wine. I definitely overdosed on both wine and coffee on
the Camino.  :-)

Re: swimming - I think there were a couple of places with swimming pools
along the way. But I doubt that many pilgrims took the time off to go
swimming.

-Eva

 -----Original Message-----
From: Kathy and Phil Dahl-Bredine [mailto:kpdbaPRODIGY.NET.MX]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 9:45 PM
Subject: cooking, sticks, swim

Hi All,
Is a walking stick really important, and if so, what kind?  We've never
used a walking stick before - do you all recommend a metal one, wood, or
what?

I understand most, but not all, refugios have cooking facilities.  What
about fuel?  Someone mentioned carrying gas cannisters - surely not!  Or
do most people eat in restaurants all the time?  We'd like to cook
simple things if that's possible.

Also, is there any place to swim along the way?  haven't heard anyone
mention that.

Thanks,
Kathy in Mexico