Another packing List

Richard Ferguson peregrinoaATT.NET
Mon Mar 22 22:39:51 PST 2004

All the talk about packing lists got me to dig out the list I used.  I started with a more comprehensive list that I would use for mountaineering expeditions, and then cut it down to what I saw as the essentials.  I probably would pack the same again.

I was walking in March, so had to bring some warmish clothes, just in case of cold.  I missed snow on one of the passes by a few days.  The coldest I got was at the refugio and church at Samos, I should have been wearing every article of clothing I had brought, but I did not.

The white and red ditty bags are full of miscelaneous stuff that I only need occasionally, but carry just in case.  They are part of my backpacking and camping system.  These bags have been all over, even carried to 21,000 feet.  I think the total weight of those two bags is around two pounds.  As a matter of policy, I avoid adjusting the contents of those two bags from trip to trip; I figure that whatever I take out to save weight is just what I will turn out to need later.

A few items are listed in more than one place in the list.  I mailed the duffel bag and some photocopied information to myself in Santiago.

Richard

--------------------

Packing List for Santiago de Compostella

CLOTHING
* Synthetic long underwear/shirt
  Synthetic long underwear bottoms
* Sweater
* Wind Parka (Goretex)
* Rain Poncho
  Rain chaps
* Wool mittens
* Socks, 5 pair hiking socks
  Underwear, 5 pair to pack
  Synthetic climbing pants
  Two extra synthetic shirts
  Cotton long sleeve T-shirt
* Mountain boots
* Balaclava/hat
  Baseball cap
* Sunglasses
* Pocket knife

WEAR OR CARRY ON PLANE
Walking shoes
Polyester pants and shirt
Passport with case.
Airline ticket/itinerary
Book to read and throw away.
Sweater
Notes about Madrid, basic info
  Wallet ($100 cash, credit cards, phone numbers)
  Personal cards
  Watch
  Carry on bag, disposable?
a Camera and slide film, pocket tripod

MISCELANEOUS
* Water bottles (Minimum of 2 qts/liters)
* Cups and spoons (Suggest 1 each)
  Sleeping bag
* Large pack
  Duffel bag to hold large pack, etc.
  Garbage bag or cover to protect pack from rain or snow
* Food
  Vitamins and acidopholus
* Sunscreen
  Extra safety pins for clothline.