ATM update and Credit Cards

Jean Seeler jeandaveaMINDSPRING.COM
Fri Mar 12 10:43:06 PST 2004

Another thing, when you get cash from a credit card you start paying interest immediately.  It is a loan.   When you purchase something with a credit card and pay your bill on time and in full you have no interest charges.

If you plan to use your credit card (I think Visa is best), call your credit card issuer before you leave to make sure you pay off any estimated bill that will arrive before you return so you don't get his with interest charges.  Also let them know you will be in Spain so they do not flag your card and think it has been stolen.  I do this with my Citibank Visa card and have traveled many places without question.   Most of the hostals and small hotels we stayed in accepted the Visa card so we could carry less cash.

WARNING - In Spain and Germany  they print the whole credit card number on your receipt.  Be sure to use ink and cross out the number before you tear up your receipts.  .

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles Hansen <VeloTrainaPEOPLEPC.COM>
Sent: Mar 10, 2004 6:13 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: ATM update

I went to my bank today and they had no problem issueing a "vanilla" ATM
card.  They also said that if I used the NYCE or Cirrus networks in Europe
it would accept the first four digits of my longer PIN.  As for the keypad,
if you think of your PIN in terms of letters, you just need to remember the
corresponding digits.

Thanks for the info Jean.

Charles