Virtual Camino show at UCLA; L.A. Friends interested in going?

Judith Nollar jnollaraLIBRARY.CALTECH.EDU
Tue Jul 27 11:08:49 PDT 2004

L.A. Times Sunday July 24 reports that groups of 40 or more may request
a show at the Visualization Portal at UCLA .  It is free and lasts about
one hour. Could we get together a Friends group of 40 persons to go?  If
so, I will try to set it up.  I can guarantee at least 8 to go.

Judy Nollar

"The time machine drops you onto the dusty streets of Santiago de
Compostela in northwestern Spain. The year is 1211.

A few hundred yards ahead is a Romanesque cathedral, nearly complete
after 100 years of construction......

....The pilgrimage is so central to Spanish culture, it just pops up
everywhere. It's like a major artery or spinal cord for Spain," said
professor John Dagenais, who spearheaded the 4-year-old virtual
cathedral project. Using writings of the Middle Ages inspired by the
pilgrimage, Dagenais said he was able to develop more of "an itinerary
than a syllabus,"....

When looking at the 9-by-24-foot curved screen with 160-degree views,
observers also can access backup data and historical documents"

To enhance the Santiago de Compostela model, Dagenais has
independent-study students in Spain collect data from the cathedral each
summer. Last year, Reid was part of a group that recorded ambient sound.
Armed with digital equipment, Reid and seven other students
simultaneously recorded sounds throughout the chapel that now play in
the UCLA theater.
"The sounds [in 1211] would have just blown you away," Dagenais said.
"It was noisy, with conversations in many languages and music from
pilgrims who came from different countries."

You're back inside the cathedral, walking down the center of the pewless
building. Above is a barrel-vaulted ceiling the length of a football
field. To your right, on the second floor, is an open gallery where
pilgrims stay."