The unicyclist

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Fri Jul 23 08:02:55 PDT 2004

Hello,
There is more information on the fellow who covered the Camino on a unicycle
and was refused the Compostela.
His name is Rodrigo Racy and he is a Brazilian actor and tourism agent, from
Sao Paulo.
In an interview reported in "O Jornal de Brasil" he said that he had gone to
the Camino both as a homage to his grandmother and to gain a place in the
Guinness book of records as the first person to traverse the French Camino on a
unicycle.  He also wanted to surpass the Guinness record of the most kilometers
traveled in a day on a unicycle (presently fifty-four).
He, a photographer, and another person videotaping his effort started out in
SJPP, and, including the segments where he had to carry the unicycle because
of steep ascents, traveled 800 kms and filled out two credentials with seals
from the sites they traversed.
Speaking about the refusal to grant a Compostela, Fr J.J. Cabrian, director
of the Sociology office of the Santiago Archdiocese said:
"The Compostla is meant for those who make the pilgrimage with religious or
spiritual motives.  Some (so-called pilgrims) try to deceive us, and some have
been able to do so. But in this case we knew that the young man had motives
other that the search for God."  "If some do deceive us, I do not know what
moral value can the Compostela hold for them; we are determined to avoid the
secularization of the Camino. Pilgrims of yore only came to Santiago with Christian
sentiments.  The spiritual essence of the Camino must be protected; it is not
a hike, it is not tourism and it is not a game."
Rodrigo Racy has apologized to the Archdiocese and expressed his intention to
make the pilgrimage next year, on foot.
Regards,
Rosina