College Student seeks Camino Mentor

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Mon Feb 23 23:57:03 PST 2004

Last September I met a German who had walked from Paderborn (to
Rabanal)wearing New Balance 804 all-terrain light walkers.  He made the
observation because I was wearing the same, although he said mine were
in better shape (even though they were 2 years old and had at least a
thousand miles on them).

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu] On
Behalf Of Frank Metcalf and Mary Doherty
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 9:31 AM
To: GOCAMINOapete.uri.edu
Subject: Re: College Student seeks Camino Mentor

I basically agree with Howard's estimate of current percentage of Camino
boot-wearers, although the tide is clearly shifting toward runner-type
shoes among serious hikers, and the Camino pilgrims--not a very
experienced group on average, as Alison Raju points out--will eventually
catch on as well.

My cousin through-hiked the Appalacian Trail, using and discarding two
pairs of boots on that much longer and more difficult route, having
grave foot problems, and finally converting to runners so he could
finish the enormous task in good form. I recall from the archives, I
think, mention of a well-known British long-walker coming out for
runners. My friends from Bristol, who were part of the "brawn drain"
from Britain when Outward Bound got going in North America, are
light-shoe proponents, as are the growing numbers of ultra-light
converts who travel the vast Pacifc Crest and Continental Divide trail
systems.

Compared to these physical challenges, everything on the Camino is
relatively unthreatening, including water, mud, rocks, gravel, slopes,
whatever. In Samos we saw a newspaper headline about "The storm that
never ends." Even in Galicia the awful rainstorm was newsworthy! There
was deep, redolent mud eveywhere, and sure, our feet got wet. Big deal.
Dry socks in damp shoes next day. The shoes dried quickly, and 95% of
the time they protected us from the true, constant moisture enemy, the
tempest of sweat from within, which all waterproofing methods, bar none,
encourage.

In the archives, Howard has been candid about preparing for the Camino
by walking around NYC, and not being an experienced outdoorsman. His
advice about boots was firmly in my mind during the Camino. I had
decided that the advice of the athletic, highly-experienced woman AT
hiker would be far more trustworthy, and a better fit for me, but that
decision would need testing against other views as events unfolded. I
kept waiting for the rough parts where "boots are a must," and it became
almost a joke en route. "There be dragons here," the map of Columbus is
said to have proclaimed. No dragons found, and I've always been thankful
that my wise mentor knew what she was talking about.

Frank Metcalf, Vancouver BC

road runners, instead of the trail variety, because the
Camino is so hard underfoot--on average, a dirt road. No part of it is
truly rugged nor difficult in the way that North American trails often
are.

I disagree & recommend mid-height boots for ankle support,
water-resistance & comfort.  Many sections of the Camino have rocks &
gravel even though the writer is correct when he says "on average" about
dirt roads. There are also creek beds and muddy spots along the way on
occasion. The majority of experienced hikers wear boots.  True, it is a
matter of personal preference, but I would not want to mislead anyone
here on listserve planning to go for the first time.  I met someone who
wore Teva sandals for the Camino and swears by them. However, I would
guesstimate that 95% of the walkers wore some form of hiking boot.
Howard Mendes NYC