College Student seeks Camino Mentor

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Mon Feb 23 19:36:01 PST 2004

In a message dated 02/23/04 05:43:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
redtailaTELUS.NET writes:
road runners, instead of the trail variety, because the
Camino is so hard underfoot--on average, a dirt road. No part of it is
truly rugged nor difficult in the way that North American trails often are.
I disagree & recommend mid-height boots for ankle support, water-resistance &
comfort.  Many sections of the Camino have rocks & gravel even though the
writer is correct when he says "on average" about dirt roads. There are also
creek beds and muddy spots along the way on occasion. The majority of experienced
hikers wear boots.  True, it is a matter of personal preference, but I would
not want to mislead anyone here on listserve planning to go for the first time.
 I met someone who wore Teva sandals for the Camino and swears by them.
However, I would guesstimate that 95% of the walkers wore some form of hiking boot.
Howard Mendes NYC