College Student seeks Camino Mentor

Frank Metcalf and Mary Doherty redtailaTELUS.NET
Tue Feb 24 01:30:33 PST 2004

I basically agree with Howard's estimate of current percentage of Camino
boot-wearers, although the tide is clearly shifting toward runner-type
shoes among serious hikers, and the Camino pilgrims--not a very experienced
group on average, as Alison Raju points out--will eventually catch on as
well.

My cousin through-hiked the Appalacian Trail, using and discarding two
pairs of boots on that much longer and more difficult route, having grave
foot problems, and finally converting to runners so he could finish the
enormous task in good form. I recall from the archives, I think, mention of
a well-known British long-walker coming out for runners. My friends from
Bristol, who were part of the "brawn drain" from Britain when Outward Bound
got going in North America, are light-shoe proponents, as are the growing
numbers of ultra-light converts who travel the vast Pacifc Crest and
Continental Divide trail systems.

Compared to these physical challenges, everything on the Camino is
relatively unthreatening, including water, mud, rocks, gravel, slopes,
whatever. In Samos we saw a newspaper headline about "The storm that never
ends." Even in Galicia the awful rainstorm was newsworthy! There was deep,
redolent mud eveywhere, and sure, our feet got wet. Big deal. Dry socks in
damp shoes next day. The shoes dried quickly, and 95% of the time they
protected us from the true, constant moisture enemy, the tempest of sweat
from within, which all waterproofing methods, bar none, encourage.

In the archives, Howard has been candid about preparing for the Camino by
walking around NYC, and not being an experienced outdoorsman. His advice
about boots was firmly in my mind during the Camino. I had decided that the
advice of the athletic, highly-experienced woman AT hiker would be far more
trustworthy, and a better fit for me, but that decision would need testing
against other views as events unfolded. I kept waiting for the rough parts
where "boots are a must," and it became almost a joke en route. "There be
dragons here," the map of Columbus is said to have proclaimed. No dragons
found, and I've always been thankful that my wise mentor knew what she was
talking about.

Frank Metcalf, Vancouver BC

road runners, instead of the trail variety, because the
Camino is so hard underfoot--on average, a dirt road. No part of it is
truly rugged nor difficult in the way that North American trails often are.

I disagree & recommend mid-height boots for ankle support, water-resistance &
comfort.  Many sections of the Camino have rocks & gravel even though the
writer is correct when he says "on average" about dirt roads. There are also
creek beds and muddy spots along the way on occasion. The majority of
experienced
hikers wear boots.  True, it is a matter of personal preference, but I would
not want to mislead anyone here on listserve planning to go for the first time.
 I met someone who wore Teva sandals for the Camino and swears by them.
However, I would guesstimate that 95% of the walkers wore some form of
hiking boot.
Howard Mendes NYC