Pilgrim Gathering Notice (repeat, but read it..)

Kathy Gower kathygoweraHOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 13 08:40:48 PST 2004

Apologies if you have rec'd this before...this is in response to several
requests...

Santa Barbara, California
March 17-23, 2004

Seventh Annual Gathering of Pilgrims

Course for Volunteer Hosts (Hospitalero Training)               March 17-19
Seventh Annual Gathering of Pilgrims                    March 19-21
Spiritual Retreat for Pilgrims                                  March 21-23

Dear Fellow and Future Pilgrims:

Once again, it is our pleasure to announce a gathering of pilgrims – our 7th
Annual  – to be held at the historic Old Mission of Santa Barbara.  We chose
the Mission Renewal Center for several reasons:  its beautiful setting in
central California between the majestic Santa Ynez Mountains and the Pacific
ocean, the tranquility and appropriateness of the gardens and facilities for
our gathering, and the authentic Spanish Colonial ambiance as a reminder of
our connection with the Camino de Santiago in Spain.  Our program presenters
come from a variety of disciplines and interests; their presentations will
entertain you, reconnect you with your pilgrimage experience and further
your knowledge of the Camino.

Best of all, our gatherings offer us the opportunity to share our stories
with new and old friends, people who are special to us because they
understand the unique power and mystery of the pilgrim experience.  To
enhance our sharing, we encourage you to bring  items that you have
collected or created (relics, music, sculpture, carvings, gifts received,
unusual renderings of scallop shells, stories, books, poems, art) that have
particular meaning for you in relation to the Camino.  We will assemble
these items in  an exhibit of "Treasures of the Camino."

This year, in addition to our regular gathering, we are offering two
additional special events for veteran pilgrims:  a two-day training for
hospitaleros prior to the gathering which will enable you to work as a
volunteer host at the refugios in Spain and,  immediately following the
gathering,  a two-day guided retreat  for returning pilgrims providing an
opportunity to incorporate the spiritual experience of the Camino into your
every day life.

All meetings and meals will be held at the Mission Renewal Center, which
offers overnight accommodations in dormitory style rooms.  You may choose to
stay at the Mission Renewal Center, or make your own hotel accommodations.

We look forward to seeing you in sunny Santa Barbara,

Edie Bennett, Meeting Coordinator (pacificonaearthlink.net)
-----------

Seventh Annual Gathering of Pilgrims
Program Information

Regular Meeting 7:00 P.M. Friday, March 19th until Sunday noon, March 21st

Friday evening is a casual time for schmoozing, sharing stories, music, food
and drink.  Saturday’s program will start at 9:30 A.M., breaking for lunch
and a group photo at 11:45 P.M., continuing with workshops from 1:30 until
5:00.  Saturday evening is our banquet followed by a presentation.  Sunday
morning, following breakfast and church services, there will be a walk led
by John-David Black, a Californian who has walked all 21 missions, and then
lunch and good byes.  (Check-in, Friday afternoon, check-out after lunch
Sunday)

Hospitalero Training      6:00 P.M. Wednesday, March 17th until 6:00 P.M.
March 19th

Wednesday evening we will dine together and spend the evening making
acquaintances and sharing refugio stories. The course, starting at 8:30
Thursday morning,  will cover the following topics: The volunteer host as an
inheritor of ancient and recent history; Attitudes of the volunteer host in
welcoming pilgrims; The volunteer host as a collaborator for the pilgrim to
know the culture of the Camino towns; Practical ways to organize the
hospitality; Medical advice; Pilgrim music and songs.

This training is conducted every spring in Spain and is a requirement for
those who wish to volunteer as hosts in the Spanish refugios along the
Camino.  We consider ourselves very fortunate to be able to offer this
training to you in the United States.  Our program will be conducted in
English by a team of three:   Mariluz and Jan Melis and Father Jose Ignacio
Diaz.  It is important to note that this program has two requirements:  1)
you need to have walked or biked some part of the Camino, and 2)  it is
highly preferred that  hosts be able to speak some Spanish.  For information
and  questions contact Lin Galea at lingaleaahotmail.com or 415/441-5951

We hope many of you will avail yourselves of this opportunity to understand
the true meaning of hospitality and to consider the idea of working as a
volunteer host as a way of giving something back to the camino.  (Check-in
from Noon on Wednesday)

Pilgrim Spiritual Retreat         6:00 P.M., Sunday, March 21st until Noon, March
23rd

Most pilgrims return home profoundly affected or changed by their experience
of the  Camino.  Many struggle with making sense of the experience and
integrating it into their daily normal life.  Through the use of stories,
visuals, music, prayer and meditation, the spiritual retreat, led by Father
Jose Ignacio Diaz, offers returning pilgrims an opportunity to reconnect
with their Camino experience and continue the process of integrating it into
their life at home.  The retreat is conducted in a Catholic tradition,
however, participants from all backgrounds and traditions are welcome.
(Check out after lunch Tuesday)