Getting to St. Jean Pied de Port

Jeffrey Crawley jt.crawleyaUKONLINE.CO.UK
Tue Feb 3 07:48:19 PST 2004

Hi,

You can catch a train down from Paris but if you do start out from London the
quickest way seems to be flying from London Stanstead by the lo-cost airline
RyanAir - www.ryanair.com - to Biarritz. There's a frequent train service from
London out to the airport, a flight straight down the west coast of France then
it's a fairly short bus ride to Bayonne railway station where you catch the
local train to SJPP.

Last September it cost me about 55UKP (about 100USD) including taxes but that
was flying (both ways) on a Wednesday, the cheapest day of the week - the taxes
cost more than the airfare :o).

There was a bit over an hour's wait for the train and I got the last bed in the
refugio but there are lots of other places. Highly recommended was the new,
Dutch run hostal - see Pieter's earlier posting.

If you're thinking of overnighting in Biarritz in August be aware that Biarritz
is considered to be tres chic and also tres cher (expensive). As most of the
French nation likes to go on holiday in August, accomodation can be difficult -
but it is a lovely town.

Best wishes

Jeffrey