[Gocamino] More from Santiago

Blaroli at aol.com Blaroli at aol.com
Thu Dec 30 11:20:11 PST 2004

Hello you all,The program for tomorrow has just been published:At 11:30 PM the Universal Archicofradia medal recipients will convene at the Cathedral to be introduced, receive the medals, etc., prior to the Pilgrims´Mass.  At 2:00 p.m. there will be a dinner at the San Martin Pinario seminary for such honorees. At 4:15 p.m. the ceremonies will commence at the Cathedral prior to closing up (sigh!) the Holy Door for the next 6 years.At ll:00 p.m. there will be entertainment by noted singers and actors at Quintana and Plateria.... one of them will be Gilberto Gil, the Minister of Art and Culture of Brazil.Yes, Virginia, some countries do have a cabinet-level secretary (minister) for the preservation and development of art and culture.At 11:15 the Cathedral bells will initiate the expectation for the new year and the spectators will be given Cava (Spanish champagne), grapes and little bags of presents "aguinaldos" courtesy of the Galician Xunta, just before midnight the Berenguela bell will toll the end of the old year and the beginning of the New, followed by a half-an-hour fireworks and music show generating from the roofs of the Cathedral and the Inmaculada (Azabacherias) square.  After the fireworks there will be continuing entertainment at Quintana, a dance at Platerias with a full orchestra (not a band,... an orchestra). Over on Azabacherias (Inmaculada) Square there will be another dance with a band and in the Galician Center there will be a Cotillion (waltzes, etc). Just before the dances commence, the spectators will be given "bengalas" (Roman candles) with an intent to bring the stars from the sky onto our midst.All the above events are free; I understand, though, that one needs to be half-way well dressed for the Cotillion.
These celebrations will go on until the wee hours when chocolate and churros will be served at the squares for those who want them.
I, for one, do not understand why one should¨"celebrate" the closing of the Holy Door.... it makes me kind of sad.
By the way, I first crossed the Holy Door, saying the prayers, etc., and went up to hug Jimmy, on behalf of "Joseph" who was unable to do so himself because of kindness when he was in Santiago during the summer.
......I´ll write more later.
Big hug to you all.Rosina