Basic travel questions from novice traveler

athena deannabowlingaYAHOO.COM
Sun Aug 29 22:28:27 PDT 2004

The rip-stop bag should protect it. I am taking mine taped in half a plastic table cloth, the kind which is rather heavy and has flannel on the back, simply because it will not be a thing of value to me so I can throw it away at the airport and replace it with something else on return. It is a very good idea to cover your pack so the straps and fabric will be protected.
For some reason they always open and inspect my luggage but they are very good to retape and make it secure again.
I have never had any trouble with vitamins and even with my prescription drugs. But I hear that it can be a hassle. I will have vitamins, fosamax, and celebrex along.
How exciting for it to be your first trip outside the USA! It is a little frightening the first time through strange airports in a different language but it will be okay. Have  a wonderful trip! People are very kind.
I have never come across an information booth where they did not speak English and they are usually very helpful.

Deanna
Carla Dolce <cjdolceaYAHOO.COM> wrote:
I am traveling from USA (Denver) to London then to
Biarritz and on to St. Jean Pied de Port to start the
Camino. I have never traveled outside US.

My only luggage is, of course, my back pack. Because
of the many straps and strings on the back pack, I am
placing it in a rip-stop nylon laundry bag to check it
at the airport. Is this a reasonable way to take the
back pack to minimize damage? The only alternative I
can think of is a cardboard box. Any suggestions for
the best way to check the packpack at the airport will
be appreciated.

(I don't think I can carry it on board because of the
Swiss army knife nail clips, etc.)

Also, I am taking many vitamins and supplements, which
I repackaged in small plastic baggies to avoid the
weight of the original containers. Does anyone know
of any restrictions on getting vitamins and
supplements (including the hormone DHEA) past customes
in London or Biarritz?

Thank you!
CJD