Matamoros statue in the Cathedral

Robert Spenger rspengeraEARTHLINK.NET
Fri Apr 30 15:01:40 PDT 2004

Rosina,

I had had the same thought and when I read your message, I got the idea
to search the GoCamino archives for Mataespanoles. Here are the
results, including you own message as the last one. Handy things -
archives that is.

001219
01/04/30
17:32
51
Re: sites & Shields

002249
01/09/25
11:05
52
Re: matamoros

008616
03/11/20
11:03
76
Re: Santiago riding down the waves

008750
03/12/12
17:40
117
Sponsored students' Camino pilgrimage

008764
03/12/13
07:46
32
Re: Sponsored students' Camino pilgrimage

010277
04/04/30
16:57
11
Re: Matamoros statue in the Cathedral
Item #1219 (30 Apr 2001 17:32) - Re: sites & Shields
  American countries' struggle for independence the apostle was invoked
as
  "mataespanoles". -Peotic justice, I suppose-.
  It would appear that the Apostle was believed to protect those who
went to

Item #2249 (25 Sep 2001 11:05) - Re: matamoros
  When Mexico itself waged its fight for independence from Spain in 1810,
  Santiago fought alongside the insurgents as Santiago Mataespanoles.
  But the images of Santiago as warrior became as infinitely outnumbered
by

Item #8616 (20 Nov 2003 11:03) - Re: Santiago riding down the waves
  revolution of independence, Santiago was invoked by the Mexicans as
Santiago
Mataespanoles (slayer of Spaniards).
  Santiago is not, of course, the only saint that has been recruited to
help in

  xican revolution of independence, Santiago was invoked by the Mexicans
as Sa=
  ntiago Mataespanoles (slayer of&nbsp; Spaniards).<BR>
  Santiago is not, of course, the only saint that has been recruited to
help i=

Item #8750 (12 Dec 2003 17:40) - Sponsored students' Camino pilgrimage
  In that war of independence, by the way, Santiago was engaged to help
the
  Mexicans as Santiago Mataespanoles (Spaniards' slayer).
  Warm regards,

  In that war of independence, by the way, Santiago was engaged to help
the Me=
  xicans as Santiago Mataespanoles (Spaniards' slayer).<BR>
  Warm regards,<BR>

Item #8764 (13 Dec 2003 07:46) - Re: Sponsored students' Camino
pilgrimage
  > was engaged to help the
  > Mexicans as Santiago Mataespanoles (Spaniards'
  > slayer).

Item #10277 (30 Apr 2004 16:57) - Re: Matamoros statue in the Cathedral

  As I remember, in the e-list that preceded this one a subscriber wrote
about some "Mataespanoles" (Spaniards slayer) images of Santiago in
some churches in the south of Mexico.
  Unfortunately, I didn't save the messages. Did anyone?

Best Regards,

Bob Spenger