planning trip

Mulligan, Pat PMulliganaGOV.STATE.GA.US
Fri Apr 16 09:35:04 PDT 2004

Jim:  now im really excited.  that sounds fantastic.  I am about to be 68
myself; 69 when I do the walk.  Im a racewalker and pretty fit; but walking
10 miles a day with a backpack will be daunting.  ill do it. thanks for your
input.  we will keep in touch as mine comes closer.  how is the weather
there in september?  i see you went in August and/S; i was originally
planning to go September 2005, but lately thought about may.  what would you
suggest, jim.  its wonderful to be in touch with you.  this listserv is a
gift.  more soon.  Pat

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU]On
Behalf Of jim allen
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 11:40 AM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: planning trip

Hola Pat Mulligan;
Last Aug/Sep at age 68 I walked 300 miles of the Camino with my daughter and
friend.  We walked SJPP to Logroño(100 miles), bus to Leon(200 Miles),
walked to Santiago(200 Miles).  The best decision we made was to walk SJPP
to Huntto, less than two hours but very, very steep.  After flying from
Newark to Madrid and working our way to SJPP it was a help to walk a little
the first day.  Then over the Pyrennes to Roncevalles, etc.  After four days
my daughter had tendonitis and her friend had heel problems.  We slowed
down, they took a few buses, I continued to walk.  In Astorga they took a
bus to OCebreiro and began to walk ahead of me.  I almost caught them at
Arco de Pino about 20 miles from Santiago.  We met up and walked into
Santiago together.  We spent a month away from home and spent $2000.00 each.
That included airfare from Newark to Madrid.  You can spend little or a lot.
We stayed in some hostals, hotels, and albergues.  We ate out all the time.
A pilgrim's meal is about $10.00 for a full meal.  When we needed money we
asked, "Whose turn is it to hit the ATM?"  We took out $300.00 at a time so
we would never run short.  For training I suggest, when you think you are
ready, walk with a full pack 10 miles a day for three consecutive days.
Walk up and down hills.  We don't have any hills here in Seminole, Fl.  My
pack weighed 20 pounds, my daughter's 17 pounds. I can't wait to go back.

Buen Camino,
Jim Allen, Seminole, Fl
jallen08atampabay.rr.com