The European Roads /Conques

m j anderson mjayceeaWORLDNET.ATT.NET
Mon Apr 5 15:20:19 PDT 2004

Kathy Gower wrote:

> Hola, Linda,
>
> That would have been me...
>
> ... I was particularly interested in the area around Conques to
> Moissac--Cathar country, Languedoc, vineyards, trade routes, geography that
> lent its influence to the social and cultural histories.

.......greetings all,
I am "new" to the list again--some years back I participated. My name is Mary
Jo Anderson and I am delighted to be reconnected.

I am recently back from Conques (France) and for anyone contemplating making
part of the French Road, Conques is not to be missed! Magnificent--a great
pilgrim's refuge where meals are a family celebration. This refuge even has
some private rooms, and for scholars a library of  pilgrimage
documents/books/maps. There is an incredible organ concert at night (Frere Jean
plays like an angel) after the touching benediction des pelerins and there is
the astounding Tresor (treasure) of Ste Foy.

While in Conques I found these books:  Les Chemins de St.Jacques de Compostelle
en France, color photos, text  with an emphasis on art and architecture.
(Nouvelles Editions Latines  1, Rue Palatine--75006 Paris)  Also a hard bound
Compostelle: Chants des Chemins de Saint-Jacques de Compostelle (Editions  Du
Layeur/ Notre Histoire)  with a CD included. In ENglish I brought home CONQUES
(Editions Du Beffroi) a tightly packed volume of culture and history of the
area with color photos.

Hope this helps....
Ultreya!
MJ Anderson