Shoes for hiking in the rain

David Hough caminooakappleaYAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 19 21:04:56 PDT 2003

 Based on advice from somebody on this list, I took
a pair of Tevas to wear in town and also for hiking
sandals in the rain.   To make that work, I also
carried
Sealskinz diving socks from REI and used them with the
very thin liner socks I use with my trail running
shoes
as well.

I never needed to use them in Spain, since I was lucky
about rain, but I did wear my sealskinz/tevas
combination
three times in France during hard rains.

And I verified the system again last week on the
Pacific Crest Trail in the North Cascades where I
enjoyed two days of rain and a third day of wet
vegetation.

Another advantage is that you don't have to change
to ford streams (I did that three times in Spain).
A disadvantage is that you have to carry your
other shoes when you're wearing your sandals for
hiking, and you have to carry the sealskinz all the
time you're not wearing them.