Almost - sleep

David Hough caminooakappleaYAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 19 21:38:26 PDT 2003

A good rule of thumb is one day of adjustment per hour
of time zone difference.    From California to
Western Europe that will be eight or nine hours.

That coincides with my experience.   I was glad to
spend a few days relatively quietly and inactively
at Taize prior to the main walk.

It's especially nuts for people in the western
hemisphere to fly to France, take the train to SJPP
the next day, and the day after that tackle the
hardest day of the Camino Frances.

It would have been a much better tradition to take
the train to Orthez and start walking over relatively
gentle terrain there, via Sauveterre and St Palais,
and arrive in SJPP with definite ideas about what
equipment you don't need and can send home instead
of coming to the same decision after carrying it
over the mountains.