The Camino Portugues

Robert E. Spenger rspengeraUSAMEDIA.TV
Fri Oct 31 09:38:59 PST 2003

M. Parker,

I am surprised that you had so much difficulty on the Portuguese route. My own experience in the Spring of 2001 was quite different. I found the route to be well-marked except
for the last 5 or 10 km going ito the city itself. I do remember a couple of industry lined sections of highway, but they were fairly short and the traffic was no worse than
some sections of the camino Francés; it was much less hazardous than much of the route through in Portugal itself and parts of the Via Tolosa in France. I did it in 6 stages,
so each stage was rather short, only about 20 km, so I didn't have to carry a lot of food and water and there were occasional bars along the way that provided food and
servicios. I can't speak for the refugios, since I didn't stay in one. I checked in on the one in Pontevedra, which was brand new and very impressive, even having its own art
gallery. I also checked out the one in Padrón, which was rather basic and unattended. I did not see the one in Tui, since I had stopped for the night on the Portuguese side of
the Minho.

The one discouraging feature was the complete lack of other pilgrims. I had already experienced this to some extent in southern France and even more so on the Portuguese route
between Lisbon and Valença. I certainly agree with you on that aspect of the route, but perhaps it will be different in 2004, especially later in the year. It was definitely a
lonely trip, especially since I was traveling solo and have only a rudimentary use of Spanish. It would have been quite different if I had a better command of the language
and/or if I were traveling with companions.

regards,

Bob Spenger
rspengerausamedia.tv