Symbols

Lindsay & David lobstertrapaMIDMAINE.COM
Mon Oct 27 07:08:54 PST 2003

Dear all,

I recently returned from the Camino Frances, walking with friends from
Sahagun to Santiago. Observations will follow, but in sum we had a marvelous
time together. One question, however, kept resurfacing: how did the Greek
letter "T", or thau, become part of the symbolism of the pilgrimage? On the
Camino we heard various stories attributing it to St. Anthony or St.
Francis, but on our arrival at the Cathedral it was clearing carved atop a
staff on a statue of St. James.

Any thoughts?

David