pilgrims of a lesser kind

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Mon Oct 13 12:38:23 PDT 2003

In a message dated 10/13/2003 6:59:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jt.crawleyaUKONLINE.CO.UK writes:
Although there was much fun made of the coach pilgrims I must admit I felt
more sorry for them that they did not have the time, ability or imagination
and faith  to undertake a "true" pilgrimage. Although I wonder what value
they held their multi-stamped credential in.

Your entire piece is condescending and judgmental in reference what a "true"
pilgim is, as differentiated from a tourist.  Why bother to put labels on
people if they choose to ride a bus rather than walk?  Have their luggage shipped
ahead or carry everything with them?
What amuses or annoys you about other pilgrims' modes of travel is very
patronizing nonsense.  Was I supposed to swim the Atlantic to get to Spain?  I
imagine boat travel may be more acceptable to you than plane travel since some
early pilgrims came by boat from England and elsewhere. Take into consideration
that many people don't walk because they are infirm, don't have enough time, or
just don't want to walk.
What if some people get their passport stamped or Compostelas deceitfully?
Although many people attach religious significance to the Compostelas they
receive, I suspect many more want them as souvenirs or mementos of sorts.  Big
deal!  It's only a piece of paper after all.
Howard Mendes NYC  (Ready for another firestorm of opposing viewpoints)