Odds and ends on the Camino.

Elizabeth Boylston-Morris TagelleaAOL.COM
Mon Oct 13 12:46:32 PDT 2003

Jeffrey,
Many Christian authors, from St. Augustine in the Fourth Century to Fray Luis
de Leon more than a thousand years later, have written that when we
contemplate Christ we contemplate our own soul. Images encourage contemplation and I
guess a reflection of our inner feelings.
When I first saw the Furelo Crucifix I was struck by the infinite generosity
and compassion that it exuded. The English-and-Spanish-speaking  French priest
that was caring for the church at the time told me that the image was meant
to convey the essence of Christianity:  the love of Jesus for us above all
else, extending a helping hand even from the agony of the Cross.
Liz