Hello, list.

athena deannabowlingaYAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 7 17:05:49 PDT 2003

And thank you for the midday footwear switching idea!

I had an awful time up to Burgos. I was afraid I would not be able to continue the Camino. My metatarsals and toes were covered with blisters and my socks were full of blood each night. In Burgos I found a sportswear store, bought a pair of Spanish boots off the shelf, ditched my Rockports at a place where I hoped a poor person might find them, and walked on with miraculously healing feet! I will never again go without my Dunhams. But a good, lighter pair for a change is probably a most excellent idea. What sandals did you take for the trail?
I have one moderately bad bunion. I have not heard of the taping idea.

Deanna

Ralph Alcorn <RBALCORNaCS.COM> wrote:
Thanks for the comments, Athena. I updated the website with your info on Roncevalles, and qualified the MacClaine, Coehlo references so no one would mistake them for practical guides.

Switching footwear in midday does help prevent blisters as you have new pressure points. We did carry very light sandals for in town use, but they were not suitable for trail walking. We went thru a couple of large rolls of breathable medical tape for blister prevention - wrapped it entirely around the ball of the foot, pieces around sensitive toes, etc. My wife has severe bunions, so each day started with a taping the feet ceremony. We learned this from a French pilgrim along the way.

Ralph Alcorn
www.backpack45.com