Hello, list.

athena deannabowlingaYAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 6 08:57:12 PDT 2003

Ralph, thank you for the page with all the references (although I would not put Coehlo and MacLaine first on any list!!!). It will be helpful.
Jennifer, check out the Mountainsmith Ghostpack also, if you are looking at packs. I would never carry anything else. I completely concur with the 15 pound limit. (I am a 120 pound woman, age 64, walked the Via Frances last April/May, loved it more than anything I have ever done.) And I like the Dunham Cloud 9 boots, actually made by the New Balance people. I have found that it is very important to have your boots a bit wider in the toe box as well as a bit longer on lengthy walks. You do need sandals to rest your feet in the evenings.
Also, the light umbrella (I found a 4 ounce one) is a fine idea. Last year I ended up buying one in Spain.
Ralph, they have bunk beds all set up in Roncesvalles now. (Your page refers to floor mattresses).
Is anyone else on the list going to walk the Via de la Plata next year? I will start in Sevilla around April 12. I would like to repeat the Via Frances in about 2006, after the Holy Year chaos calms down.
Deanna

"R. James Disharoon, CDP" <jamesaDISHAROON.NET> wrote:
Ralph and Jennifer,

Just got back from the Camino. I found a number of the hikers stating that the best approach was to alternate between light hiking boots and sandals. This was something new to me but there were a number of folks that seemed to think this was the best way to go to avoid blistering. They would start out with the boots and as the day warmed up, they would switch to the sandals. They would also be wearing the sandals in and around the refugios.

James

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On Behalf Of Ralph Alcorn
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2003 4:52 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: Hello, list.

Jennifer, in footwear, you have to decide between trail shoes and lightweight boots.  Do not get heavy boots.  If you have strong ankles and are used to walking with low topped shoes on uneven ground, then you can save weight by using trail shoes.  Among long distance hikers, I think New Balance 80x series are the most popular.  The current one is 806.

Boots must feel comfortable when you first put them on, and remember that your feet will swell when you are walking 10-13 miles a day.  Be sure your toes are not at all cramped, and will not hit the front of the boot when going down steep hills.  Now I'm using Lowa Renegade GTX and like them - used the lowest cost Vasque's when doing the Camino, but they finally wore out.  My wife used a lightweight Lowa model on the Camino. www.backpackgeartest.org reviews boots and trail shoes.

On pack, etc. really work to keep the weight down - something like 15 lbs before food and water. We both used a Golite Breeze pack.  If you want a waist belt use something like the GVPGear G4, which I used on a John Muir Trail thru-hike.  It has a slot for a sleeping pad.  On the Camino, we didn't carry a sleeping pad, and always had a mattress to sleep on, but frequently worried about having to sleep on the floor.  Carrying a pad would relieve that worry.  We both carried lightweight umbrellas, and there were both some hot days and rainy days where we really appreciated them.  There is a lot more info on our camino web page, so I recommend that you read it soon: Camino Website.

Ralph Alcorn
www.backpack45.com
Shepherd Canyon Books
Publisher of We're in the Mountains, Not Over the Hill: Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers