Hello, list.

R. James Disharoon, CDP jamesaDISHAROON.NET
Mon Oct 6 05:18:16 PDT 2003

Ralph and Jennifer,

Just got back from the Camino. I found a number of the hikers stating
that the best approach was to alternate between light hiking boots and
sandals. This was something new to me but there were a number of folks
that seemed to think this was the best way to go to avoid blistering.
They would start out with the boots and as the day warmed up, they would
switch to the sandals. They would also be wearing the sandals in and
around the refugios.

James

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On
Behalf Of Ralph Alcorn
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2003 4:52 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: Hello, list.

Jennifer, in footwear, you have to decide between trail shoes and
lightweight boots.  Do not get heavy boots.  If you have strong ankles
and are used to walking with low topped shoes on uneven ground, then you
can save weight by using trail shoes.  Among long distance hikers, I
think New Balance 80x series are the most popular.  The current one is
806.

Boots must feel comfortable when you first put them on, and remember
that your feet will swell when you are walking 10-13 miles a day.  Be
sure your toes are not at all cramped, and will not hit the front of the
boot when going down steep hills.  Now I'm using Lowa Renegade GTX and
like them - used the lowest cost Vasque's when doing the Camino, but
they finally wore out.  My wife used a lightweight Lowa model on the
Camino. www.backpackgeartest.org reviews boots and trail shoes.

On pack, etc. really work to keep the weight down - something like 15
lbs before food and water. We both used a Golite Breeze pack.  If you
want a waist belt use something like the GVPGear G4, which I used on a
John Muir Trail thru-hike.  It has a slot for a sleeping pad.  On the
Camino, we didn't carry a sleeping pad, and always had a mattress to
sleep on, but frequently worried about having to sleep on the floor.
Carrying a pad would relieve that worry.  We both carried lightweight
umbrellas, and there were both some hot days and rainy days where we
really appreciated them.  There is a lot more info on our camino web
page, so I recommend that you read it soon: Camino
<http://www.backpack45.com/camino2.html> Website.

Ralph Alcorn
www.backpack45.com
Shepherd Canyon Books
Publisher of We're in the Mountains, Not Over the Hill: Tales and Tips
from Seasoned Women Backpackers